I also happened to have some samples of machinable urethane plastics to try out, and the new software was just the thing to do that with.
I started with one of Vectric's sample files, the rooster statue. The statue is initially scaled to stand twelve inches tall. My material was about 3.5 by 2.4 by 0.9 inches in size. So I used Cut3D to scale the object, no problemo.
I positioned it in the block, added some tabs, again no problem.
Since this was my first time using Cut3D, my only concern as I went through the simple linear process of setting things up was what I would end up with in the way of files at the end. Would I get a file with some sort of pauses in it, during which I would do tool changes and material flips (to machine top and bottom), or would I have to edit these in, or what?
As it turned out, Cut3D produced four gcode files. Top rough cut, top finish cut, bottom rough cut, and bottom finish cut. For machines with tool changers, it can consolidate the files that have tool changes between them.
So this makes it easy. Load up the material, align the machine, run the rough cut for the side you start with, and wait for it to complete. Then change tools, recheck alignment, run the finish cut for that side. When that's over, flip the material, put in the correct bit for roughing, align, and run the other side's rough cut file. When that's complete, change bits and check alignment one last time then do the finish cut on the second side. Voila, you're done!
When machining a part on more than two sides, I presume that there are more files.
Well, Cut3D worked great. I didn't have the recommended post-processor file for my setup, but the Sherline inches was close enough so I tried that. I got the recommended post-processor for my setup from Vectric's support in my email today. The Sherline gcode worked fine, however.
The only thing that didn't work was me.
Here's my CNC setup. Here's what I got:
Front Side, so far so good...
Back side. Whoops! It's Upside-Down!
Everything started out fine, but I let myself get distracted by some visitors when I went to do the back side cut. I got the alignment right, but had it upside-down from the orientation I should have had it.
Moral of the story: put unambiguous markings on your workpiece to avoid mistakes during machining, and if a distraction gets introduced, set the work aside until it's gone. ;)
The material I'm machining out of is one of the denser varieties of NC Proofboard from Golden West Manufacturing. They're a short way away from me, and this was the first sample piece of their materials I've machined. And it machines like a dream! I may never machine wood again. Well, wood is awfully pretty so I'm sure I will, but not unless I really have to.
Their materials deserve their own article, so I'll be writing more about them once I've tried out a few more of my samples.
Upshot, Cut3D is a great program, and the price is great. I'm looking forward to doing a bunch of work with it, and possible upgrading to VCarve Pro some time later when I feel the need for more flexibility.