Friday, June 26, 2009

A New Sciphone G2

Well, I've got a new Sciphone G2 cellphone. My first one developed a problem with the touchscreen, so Scophone has replaced it for me. The replacement took some time because of postal transit time for my old phone going back. One the replacement was on its way, it got here in just a few days.


The original one, which looks just like the new one from the outside.

The problem the first phone developed was that the touchscreen sensed the touches on the screen reversed top-to-bottom. It made the phone pretty hard to use. A restore to factory settings didn't do the trick (typing in the password with an inverted touchscreen was a trick, though), so Scophone asked me to send it back for a replacement. I have no complaints about Scophone's service, that's for sure.

I haven't had a chance to fully "ring out" the new phone yet, but so far it's looking really good. For one thing, the battery cover comes off this one without too much trouble. The first one was more difficult than I felt it should be. This one is just right. It's not going to come open when I don't want it to, but I don't feel like I'm going to break the phone when I open it. Also, the stylus fits better. It was too hard to get out on the first phone, at least for the first few goes. After that it wasn't quite so bad, but it was still more trouble to get out than I felt it should be. This one is, again, just right. It hasn't loosened up any with use, either.

I've got the new phone on my home's WiFi network again, and soon I'll have everything configured just as I had it on the first phone. It looks like there have been some minor changes to the software. I'll be posting more on the phone soon.

My Articles on the Sciphone G2: