Friday, August 27, 2010

A Young Person's Review of The Mote in God's Eye

My daughter read this SF classic and loved it, so I've asked her to do a review for my website, since I thought it'd be interesting to have a review of this book from someone who wasn't even around when it was written.



I have occasion to wonder if some of what I consider "classic" is material that's as doomed to be forgotten as some of the great novels of a century ago or more. I hate to think it's that ephemeral, but I'm not in a good position to judge. My daughters don't read a regular diet of the books I enjoyed when I was their age (but then, I was considered pretty odd for my tastes when I was that age, too), but they do enjoy picking up some 70s-80s SF to spice things up and break up the mangas a bit. Sometimes they even discover where things they read about in the mangas "come from."

Check out the review, and stay tuned. My younger daughter ate up Ringworld, so I'm trying to get a review out of her, too.

1 comment:

  1. I like tapping into older (older than 1986...) SF for lots of reasons. That was when the "Greats" were writing (Asimov, Heinlein, etc...).

    One of the reasons I like them is because since they were writing that far back, their "predictions" about the future add an unintended element of humor to their stories.

    Also, they are really well written.

    ReplyDelete