Wednesday, May 4, 2011

First Attempt at Engraving an IC with my CNC

I decided to try doing a smaller, more precise job with my microCarve A4 CNC today. I took some of my GCode program from yesterday, scaled it down (fortunately I provided variables to do all that automatically for me) and added a chip number in characters that I hoped would show with the bit I'm using.

Here's what I got:

CNC Engraved IC. The bit isn't quite sharp enough for the level of detail.
My first shot at engraving an IC top. It's not really an 8085 microprocessor, it's a dead ROM I happened to have hanging around.


The cut widths are about 35 thousandths. Too large for the level of detail in the smaller key pattern. The single large key above is scaled three times larger than the smaller keys. The base leg length for the small keys (the smallest segment size) is 25 thousandths. So it's easy to see why it didn't quite come out.

Still, the accuracy would have been plenty good, if I'd had a sharp enough bit.

Onward and upward! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment